[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod: UI

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 18 11:01:43 CST 2006

Sat, 18 Nov 2006 @ 02:09 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > My switch is a 5-port single-chip unit that cost $20.
> >
> > If a router is not faster than that, the router sucks worse than words
> > can adequately describe... :)
>
> Ah.  What *I* was talking about is that the switching performance on a
> Cisco 2950 switch will outrun the switching performance on a Cisco 3640
> router.

No doubt.

> > I also stated things wrong above.
> >
> > I meant to say "in place of a NetBSD machine serving as a router".
>
> For most things, a NetBSD box will do just fine.  Unless you're doing
> some really complicated stuff or passing a whole lot of traffic between
> two or more LANs.  That's when the hardware-accelerated routing comes in
> handy.

The NetBSD box is an old SS5 due to be replaced.

I don't like machine configuration to affect my networking.

If I had a dedicated gateway machine, that would be fine, but a small
router is less worry and power usage.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]