[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod: UI

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 01:09:49 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> My switch is a 5-port single-chip unit that cost $20.
>
> If a router is not faster than that, the router sucks worse than words
> can adequately describe... :)

Ah.  What *I* was talking about is that the switching performance on a
Cisco 2950 switch will outrun the switching performance on a Cisco 3640
router.

> I also stated things wrong above.
>
> I meant to say "in place of a NetBSD machine serving as a router".

For most things, a NetBSD box will do just fine.  Unless you're doing
some really complicated stuff or passing a whole lot of traffic between
two or more LANs.  That's when the hardware-accelerated routing comes in
handy.

Peace...  Sridhar