[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod: UI

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:34:51 CST 2006

On 17 Nov 2006, at 20:55, Brooke Gravitt wrote:

> Agreed. If my wife, my mother-in-law and my mom were able to figure
> out how to use them without help, anyone should be able to. They are
> decidedly non-technical and love their ipods.

Well while I'm a geek I have a very short attention span. I find
devicdes or tech stuff that takes a lot of working out really
annoying unless I'mv  in the right mindset (once in a blue moon
usually). I've always fund the iPod easy and quick. The same goes for
my Mac OS X machines. I do0n't use an easy-to-use tech product
because I'm incapable of using anything else, I use it because it's
an enormous effort saver!

I have had a certain number of geeks complain to me that Mac O)S X
and also iPods are too dumbed down for their liking. I can to some
extent understand their views on that as some people rejoice in the
complex. I don't. If I want to get my hans dirty I can, I have enough
UNIX hardware and such like to go at, but sometimes I just want to
sit in the car and listen to my music or sit down and read my mail
with no hassle. Apple stuff does that for me.

> My mom has the newest on of all of us, the newest video one that just
> came out- She uses it primarily to show off baby pictures and watch
> shows while on the road with my dad. I'm jealous, stuck with a G3
> ipod.

Great, I'm glad she likes it. Personally I wouldn't give a video iPod
house oom. Given the choice between Pink Floyd and Lost I know which
one I'd rahter put my attention to ;o)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"