[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Nov 16 23:01:06 CST 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 10:48:50PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> The US Post Office will deliver it to Israel for $10.50 using Global
> Priority Mail if you can keep the weight down to a pound. I don't think
> that would be hard with a 10baseT card and padding.

That would be good except for two things. The first is that I've given
away all of my non PPC Macs (and most of those too). I now have several
PB1400s in various configurations, three wallstreets (also in various
configurations, a Kanga that needs a new home (won't boot unless you
hit reset) a Pismo, the aformentioned original B&W G3, and a iMac (G3) 450
that I keep trying to get my kids to use.

One of the wallstreets only has a small disk and a screen, but it has
no battery, and the Kanga and Pismo batteries are dying. At some point
when I have money, I need to ship off about 10 or so various laptop
batteries to a rebuilder.

The second is that Global Priority mail is surface mail. It takes an average
of two months to arrive. The priority is that it is delivered by courier
to my home after it arrives in Jerusalem instead of my getting a note
in my mail box that it will be at the post office tomorrow if they have not
sent it back already because they only hold packages for two weeks, but
can not count.

It should not matter for an ethernet card, but most packages these days
are X-rayed several times during shipping, and occasionaly scanned with
gamma ray scanners, which do a whole cargo container at a time.

As a triva point, my oldest son's ex-girfriend's uncle invented the cargo
container.

> Yeah, those Canadians have to deal with stuff like that.
>
> I used to know a lot of ways around Canadian customs, not sure about
> Israel.

The only for sure way is to get someone to bring it in their luggage.
If you can find someone moving here, and they are bringing a "lift"
(a shipment of household goods), then sometimes you can get them to
add a few items for you.

I tired to do that with Sammy Ominsky when he moved here and all of the
items never made it to him. :-(

> > You must get them from business. Here there were few Macs sold and the
> > were not networked. Around 1990 the taxes on a computer were about 140
> > percent.
>
> Ouch.

That's why there were no used or broken XT's floating around. It wasn't
until the 486 era that people could afford PCs. Sometimes it's also
the law, for example WiFi was not legal here until November 2003.
Therefore the Orinoco/WaveLan laptop cards, which will work in almost
anything and are supported by many operating systems are impossible
to find here.

They go for around $10-$15 in the U.S., if you have to pay anything for
them at all, here the only ones were brought in illegaly or after Nov 2003,
which by that time they were mostly obsolete.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838