[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:27:42 CST 2006

On 16 Nov 2006, at 19:33, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 02:09:17PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> wrote:
>> In fact, I have a nubus ethernet card right now that I thought of
>> selling.  Not sure the brand right now.
>
> Because those cards were rare and expensive. I've only seen two in my
> life

You're kidding right? I'm falling over the damn things here, I have
so many that I left the one I got new in the box from a radio rallye
in the box, still sealed, for posterity. Admittedly a lot of mine are
AAUI but I have never really had an issue finding the transceivers
for that either (I currently have 5 and only use 2 AAUI machines at
most :o) ).

At the time of new-ness, they were very expensive but large Mac-
oriented companies/orgs bought them in volume at discount so there
are plenty around if you turn over the right rocks (for example the
LowEndMac swap list).

> one I bought for an SE/30 which cost almost as much as the machine

Well thats not quite the same, the SE and SE/30 use PDS (Processor
Direct Slot) not NuBus, and also unlike NuBus card it is custom made
to fit the machine it's intended for, pushing the price way up, and
the relative availability down. I am very fortunate to have been
given one for my SE/30 and cherish it like gold dust.

> and an old Nubus one that I got in a IIcx that someone gave me a few
> years ago. The machine was worthless because some idiot removed the
> RAM
> to use in a PC and took the ROM too.

I'd bet around half the NuBus 68k boxes I've got have had NuBus
ethernet cards in already.

>> Each of my IIci's has them.
>
> You are very lucky.

Like I said above I think it's more a case of you being unlucky ;o)
That and you are also not exactly in a Mac hotbed where you are now.

> I had a Franklin. :-)

... and I was just a twinkle in my daddy's eye I'll guess... :o)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"