[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Nov 16 14:21:36 CST 2006

Thu, 16 Nov 2006 @ 21:33 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> Because those cards were rare and expensive. I've only seen two in my
> life, one I bought for an SE/30 which cost almost as much as the machine,
> and an old Nubus one that I got in a IIcx that someone gave me a few
> years ago. The machine was worthless because some idiot removed the RAM
> to use in a PC and took the ROM too.
>
> > Each of my IIci's has them.
>
> You are very lucky.

I didn't have problems finding them. I paid $25 for five 10baseT cards,
3 graphics cards, and a IIci cache card.

There aren't many around now, but when nubus machines were more popular
on ebay there were quite a few to be found.

I sold of a few sets of nubus cards for good money 2 years ago.

One thing I never snagged as that hot graphics card for nubus that had 4
graphics processors on it.

> > I had both my IIci's printing to my Linux machine's CUPS server without
> > issues.
>
> How did you do it? I've done it with Netatalk on Linux and CAPS before that.

I believe I just ran Appletalk on Linux and NetBSD. CUPS just acted as
an lpr host for a PostScript printer, no magic there.

I also had Mac file shares on my UNIX hosts.

> > I know I don't need it... but I'm thinking of picking up an Apple IIe
> > Platinum with 1MB of RAM and a monitor.
>
> Sounds good to me. I have not been able to get one here. :-(

I spent a lot of hours in front of an Apple II, even though I never
owned one of my own.

One thing though: my Atari was faster than most II's, and had
accelerated graphics.  Otherwise the Apple was a lot nicer.

I used to also sit at Radio Shack and drool over the Model 3 and 4
machines.  I wanted one so bad.

> > I used to drool over machines like that in the 80s when I could barely
> > afford to get a disk drive for my old Atari.
>
> I had a Franklin. :-)

The local library system bought some Bell & Howell machines. Just like
the Apple IIe, but with very cool solid black cases.

The Apple II has an amazing range of software, some of it quite
sophisticated when you consider it was all running on a little 6502
microcontroller.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if