[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod - An Illustrated Journey

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Nov 16 17:20:20 CST 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >I have an Omifi DMP1 that I really only bought because it was bundled
> >with a DMS1.
>
> I bought two, then a third of these - they were $100/each and as you said, they came with WiFi dongles

I was after the DMS1 when I got it.  I think I have 3 of the DMS1 units now.  They hang
occasionally, and the server software for windoze (Simplecenter) is truly HORRIBLE but I'm
using the twonkyvision[1] upnp server instead which works just fine.  I like that they handle
wifi with WEP.  I used the DMP1 in my office instead of the DMS1 because Simplecenter was so
horrible.  (This was before I found twonkyvision.)  A friend installed his in his Prius
because it lacked an mp3 player (even with package 8 or 9!) and it's not like the stock
stereo is easily replaced because of the voice and touchscreen integration.  He's
in the process of adding some hack modules to the stock AV system so he can use the
additional AV inputs.

> I have yet to install one in any of my cars, but the first will be when I get around to fixing
> up my '67 mustang - the original Sony 6 disc changer died, and I've never gotten around to fixing it

Wow, my cousin has 2 '67 mustangs and neither of them came with an original 6 disc changer...  :)

> IIRC, the HD in it can be upgraded to a larger 3.5" IDE drive, and can be loaded with music
> either tethered via USB or over WiFi...

The hack I saw lets you bless a larger 2.5" drive for use in it.  I don't think a
3.5" drive would fit.  My understanding is that it runs embedded linux and it obviously
has 2 USB ports (one for wifi and one for....?) so an external USB 3.5" drive would
be nice.

If you go wifi you can force an update from the driveway and leave it running.
I still want to do a car computer with wifi and just use cron and rsync or something
to pull in queued music.  Then it could shut down when it was done.

-DanD

[1] The media server costs, but the music-only server is free.

# You smash it - and Ill build around it.
# 		JOHN LENNON