[geeks] fwd: The Seven Phases of Owning an iPod - An Illustrated Journey

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Nov 15 14:58:19 CST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Mark Benson wrote:
> I got a (quite expensive) Griffin Roadtrip cradle/transmitter (Iv
> don't have anywhere near to hand to put the iPod in my Accord). Once
> you get over the fact it's not gonna be hi-fi quality like it is on
> your computer/stereo/headphones, it's just like, well listening to FM
> radio!

That's certainly a limitation.  In my previous car, I had a Sony
10-disc CD/MP3 changer that inserted itself in between the antenna
and the stereo (and would switch between antenna and itself) so it
could actually broadcast a wider than FM signal.  It sounded
pretty decent, better than FM radio.

You can buy FM injectors like this standalone to add inputs to stereos.

> Only problem is in crowded urban areas with lots of radio stations it
> can be hard to find a band where you don't get any interference.

Another problem bypassed by the above setup.

> Living out in the sticks as I do it's not troubled me. My only gripe
> is Honda put the Accord's barbecue squire aerial on the *back* and
> the iPod is in the *front*, so I get a bit of 'snow' in the signal I
> might not otherwise get with a rear window or front aerial position.
> It's hardly noticeable. I also get a teeny bit of alternator whistle,
> but that's to be expected I think.

My Subaru Forester does the same.  The antenna is in the driver side rear
window.

> They are starting to become more common, as are iPod integration
> systems in-car and apparently Apple have now started making moves to
> offer then on flights too.

The Harman Kardon Drive + Play looks pretty cool...
I'm also seeing car stereo systems that take plug in modules for Sirius,
XM, or ipods.

-DanD

# It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand
# by itself.  -Thomas Jefferson