[geeks] Princeton Surplus Haul...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 15 12:37:44 CST 2006

Hello all,

Just a quick note on few finds today:

 - NCD Explora 451 thin client, cost $5 (included power supply), tested for boot-up before purchase. I'd seen these types of thin clients before, but without power supply. When I could test this, I decided to "take the plunge". FOund this web page full of good info: http://criggie.dyndns.org/ncd/explora/

 - Mac G4 350 (with Firewire), cost $31 with over 128 Meg of RAM (I assume it is 256, but don't know, haven't powered it up yet), CD, 10 Gig HD in good physical condition.

 - Missed an Ultra 450 with high-end Elite (3D-m6 I think) video, unknown processor/RAM/HD, but it would have been $10 if I got there in time.

 - Left a DECstation 3100 - it got picked apart before I got to it, and just looked sad...

 - Left an Ultra 1 (speed unknown) - it had no RAM, no HD, and the CD-ROm was removed. I couldn't bring myself to spending even $5 on the bare chassis, since I can't even GIVE one of these away...

I am very enthusiastic about the NCD thin client, since the above web page has links to the required software to make it actually boot...

Any thoughts on the NCD thin client would be appreciated (I've not worked with this type of hardware before, and hope the above web page will get me this up and working of a Solaris 10 box)...

Lionel