[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Nov 14 12:39:57 CST 2006

Actually, the problem there is that some of those Hitachi drives like
to park their heads the moment they think they're not being used.

There was a Mac utility called APM Tuner X (which I use to this day)
that allows me to set the threshold at which the drive will park its
heads.  Since my laptop never goes anywhere (it's a desktop
replacement), I use APM Tuner X to turn the threshold to the limit
(which prevents head-parking).

Unfortunately, the developer (Eiji Maekawa) seems to have abandoned
the program after putting out version 0.1.

John