[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 14 12:32:03 CST 2006

Tue, 14 Nov 2006 @ 06:45 -0500, Mike F said:

> I don't know about the current generation of Mac Mini, but the internal
> drive in my G4 Mini behaves exactly that way, except the tick was much
> more often and it would frequently happen just as the disk was being
> accessed. I know a lot of laptop drives do that, but I never really knew
> what it was. However, it annoyed me enough (not so much the sound as the
> excruciating pauses) to put a 3.5" drive in a firewire enclosure and use
> that as the primary drive. No more "tick" and much better overall
> responsiveness.

Why can't you just turn the power save features off?

Almost all hard drives support the power saving features, but default to
having them turned off.

Will the notebook drives not respond to the commands to disable it?

Why would Apple ship drives in a *desktop* that defaulted to power
saving?  That sounds pretty dumb.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The grieving lords take ship.  With these
our very souls pass overseas." -- Exile]