[geeks] Advice on buying a new Mac

Dave K davek08054 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:08:42 CST 2006

I'm thinking it's time to buy a Mac.  As I know a few of you here are
Mac fans, I'm hoping you can give me a little advice.

I don't need or want another laptop, so the MacBooks are out, the Mac
Pro is just too expensive at the moment, and I don't have the desk
space for another monitor, so that rules out the IMac.

Therefore, I'm looking at the "bigger" Mac Mini:
    * 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
    * 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256
    * 80GB Serial ATA drive
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD1RW/CD-RW)
    * Mac OS X - U.S. English
    * Intel GMA 950 graphics
    * Accessory kit

I'm assuming I'll be able to use one of my Samsung 204B monitors, right?

What options should I go for:
Is 1 meg of RAM enough, or should I go for 2?
Is there any special benefit to adding a bigger disk internally,
versus using external/network storage?
Should I go with the Apple keyboard/mouse, or 3rd party?
What actually is iWork, and is it worth $79?
And what about AppleCare?

Thanks.
--
Dave K