[geeks] Handicapped people looking for work

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 12 18:48:07 CST 2006

>From: James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com>
>Date: 2006/11/12 Sun PM 06:23:40 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Handicapped people looking for work

<snip>

>A wheelchair-bound friend of mine told me that if you ever want to show
>a little respect to a wheelchair user, pull up a chair and sit down when
>talking to them.

Years ago I was sensitized about sitting or standing when speaking to someone - being 6 foot 7 inches tall, I have made a point to "get to their level" when I speak with someone I respect (or want them to think I respect them), and to stand when I want to establish clearly my position relative to them (I use it sparingly, but I will admint I've used it to great effect in very particular situations).

Lionel