[geeks] Handicapped people looking for work

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Nov 12 18:23:40 CST 2006

> Maybe I've been here too long, but something comes to me
> about handicaped or disabled people looking for work.
>
> Why not come out and say it on your resume?
>
> I figure there are three kinds of people out there:
>
> 1. Those that don't want you because you are disabled, handicapped or
>    have special needs or accomodations. They'll see that eventually,
>    but it will be before you are made an offer and you'll
> never get the job.
>
> 2. People who don't care. They will accept you based upon
> what you can do
>    and if it fits their needs, take you as your are.
>
> 3. Large companies who are looking to make ADA (Americans
> with Disabilities
>    Act) points and actively recruit you.

And the rest of the list, which I've discovered, since I'm somewhat
handicapped.

#4, the "you must be desperate for work, so we'll hire you at 1/2 your
real wage potential" company.

#5, the company that discovers I've hidden my disability and invents
reasons to fire me.

#6, the company that thinks I'll drain their insurance program.

#7, the employee herd that starts to treat me like a leper and spreads
rumor instead of just asking what the issue is.

It's real simple. I don't climb more than one flight of stairs, I don't
walk more than 3 blocks, I don't appreciate having to chase stuff all
over the company compound and I tend to gain weight easily since I don't
get much exercise. This is on top of the sins of being an over-40
balding white guy. What this has to do with my 20 years of top-flight
network engineering and sales engineering experience, I don't know. I'm
good enough for a top employer to hand me all their 100 Billion dollar
accounts, but some jerk wont hire me because I walk a little slow.

Ask a wheelchair-bound person how much more they've discovered about
people. I'm especially amused by the assumption of mental handicap and
deafness for a wheelchair user.

A wheelchair-bound friend of mine told me that if you ever want to show
a little respect to a wheelchair user, pull up a chair and sit down when
talking to them.