[geeks] I just saw...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Nov 12 15:02:18 CST 2006

Sat, 11 Nov 2006 @ 17:33 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>
> > As for Lincon, have you ever read the emacipation proclimation? He freed
> > the slaves in "the states in rebelion", over which he had no control.
>
> Sort of like all the times President Lincoln said "If I could preserve
> the Union without freeing a single slave, I would gladly do so"?

He also said in a party after his inauguration that he believed black
men were inferior, and should be moved out of the country. He and his
friends also created the "5/8ths rule".

He frequently made racist and white supremist comments and writings.

I don't necessarily fault him for it, as he was a man of his times, but
I see no reason to hold him up as a hero when he wasn't.

He also trampled the US Constitution into the ground by attacking a
sovereign nation, the Confederacy, instead of accepting their invitation
to diplomacy.

The south was losing a trade war with the north, and the north was
literally walking out of the House and Senate rather than hear the
southern state's representatives.

That's why the Confederacy was formed, and it had every right to do so.

Each state is a soverign nation, bound in voluntary union, at least it
was until after the Civil War.

Also interesting: the 1860 census says that the north was 75% English,
while the south was 75% celtic, with a mix of norse and slavic peoples,
three groups the English hated.

Finally, Jefferson and Hamilton radically opposed one another on who
should govern. Jefferson said it should be the natural aristocracy, the
best should serve as leaders. Hamilton said it should be the artificial
aristrocracy, that the wealthy should lead.

This also is one of the roots of the American Civil War.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]