[geeks] I just saw...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Nov 11 17:33:35 CST 2006

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> As for Lincon, have you ever read the emacipation proclimation? He freed
> the slaves in "the states in rebelion", over which he had no control.

Sort of like all the times President Lincoln said "If I could preserve
the Union without freeing a single slave, I would gladly do so"?

It's a matter of revisionist history[0] that the US Civil War was fought
to eliminate/preserve slavery.  Yes, that was the straw that broke the
camel's back.  However, the real heart of the matter was states' rights
within a federal government (which we were supposed to have per the
Constitution) versus states' obligations to a national government (which
we have now).

[0] A lie that has will be near-universally accepted as truth as my
     generation comes to an age of political power, as we have been
     bathed in that falsehood by our corrupt government school system.
--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and