[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 12 03:08:57 CST 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:17:31AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> > Yale was founded by a group that wanted to make Hebrew the official
> > language of the colonies, because Jesus spoke it.
>
> Did he?  I thought the language of that place and time was Aramaic.

I'm sure he did. Hebrew was the language of the temple. It was the language
of the bible, it was the language of prayer. Aramaic was the language
of the street.

He also spoke some of the languages of the occupation troops. Roman
foot soldiers spoke Latin, or a "street Greek" whose name I don't
remember, the officers spoke classical Greek. The Asyrians who were
the Roman's muscle in the area, may of had a language of their own,
I don't know.

So yes, he spoke Hebrew. Probably far better than most Roman Catholics
speak Latin. However if you wanted to use the language he delivered
his sermons in, it was probably Arameic.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838