[geeks] Java as a first language

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 10 22:07:25 CST 2006

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Robert Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>> I think Perl is a good place to start.
>
> I'd have to agree.  So long as you remember "use warnings; use strict;"
> it's very possible to write good code in Perl, and it's an easy language
> to get running in very quickly.

And contrary to popular belief, Perl does not *HAVE* to look like line
noise.

I've been told several times that I write C in Perl.  I find this quite
understandable, since C was my first "real" language.  Unless you count
ALGOL 60 or ATLAS.

(No, not that ATLAS.  I almost guarantee you've never heard of this ATLAS.)

--
 Same geek, same site, new location