[geeks] Bad monster. No donut.

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:04:53 CST 2006

On 11/9/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I think maybe 1 in 20 of the job openings I get contacted with actually
> has possible potential.  And maybe 1 in 50 to 100 has enough potential
> to immediately say "Yes, go for it, that's worth applying for."

Then you are filtering yourself out of opportunities.  The job
descriptions rarely give the full story, and often are written by
people who do not understand anything about the job.  The least you
can do is follow up and get more information.  Worst case, you have a
phone screen or interview and it doesn't fit.  So what?  That was good
practice for the next one that *does*.  It also gets you used to
saying "that's not for me" and taking a more objective viewpoint about
the process so that when you don't get a call back you don't give a
rat's behind.

> Likewise, if your unemployment benefits have run out and you're not
> actively participating in any government-run work search or retraining
> programs (most of which are useful only for blue-collar jobs), SHAZAM!
> Whether you have a job or not, you're no longer unemployed!

Not all retraining programs are oriented towards blue-collar jobs.
When I last looked into it, it included skilled trades and college
tuition assistance.

> The government cooks the books quite shamelessly on this one.

As with everything, they must keep the sheeple in the dark.

=Nadine=