[geeks] Bad monster. No donut.

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 9 21:08:16 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 09 Nov 2006 @ 14:47 -0500, Nadine said:
>
>> I disagree.  I have kept my resume on Monster pretty much continuously
>> since 03/04.  I'd say between 80-90+% of the "hits" I get are from
>> head hunters and contracting agencies (i.e. people who get paid by
>> placing candidates).
>
> I think I get about 60% invalid hits in terms of the wrong job, and
> about half the rest are in the wrong locations. Then of those that are
> real, I can't understand what the recruiter is saying at least half of
> the time.

I think maybe 1 in 20 of the job openings I get contacted with actually
has possible potential.  And maybe 1 in 50 to 100 has enough potential
to immediately say "Yes, go for it, that's worth applying for."

>> The unemployment rate just hit a 5 year low.
>
> Correction, unemployment *claims* just hit a 5 year low.
>
> If you are past the time limit, or cannot file, then you don't get
> counted as unemployed.

Likewise, if your unemployment benefits have run out and you're not
actively participating in any government-run work search or retraining
programs (most of which are useful only for blue-collar jobs), SHAZAM!
Whether you have a job or not, you're no longer unemployed!

The government cooks the books quite shamelessly on this one.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location