[geeks] Java as a first language

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Nov 10 13:42:44 CST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:20:34 -0500 (EST)
kevin marshall <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> I would mostly like to develop some small utility apps and
> some web application stuff, for my own, or limited use.
C. Because it is quite low level (some people call it a high-level
assembler) and thus will expose you to the inner workings of a computer.
This is good as it will teach your fundamental understandig of what is
going on inside your machne. Also: C is in wide use, especially in Unix
land. Knowing C will enable you to fix things your self, e.g. when you
want to compile some broken GNUware.

If you wane develop larger programms with GUI you may take a look at
Smalltalk. (http://www.squeak.org/) Main reasons for Smalltalk are: It
is purely object oriented. You _will_ gork the object oriented paradigm.
(With a hybrid language like C++ most people tend to programm hybrid.
Not really imperative, not really object oriented.) The language is
lean, clean, orthogonal, simple and easy to learn. Once you got used to
the Smalltalk system, you are able get new things done quite fast
because the environement is so powerfull.

For web applications most people use some scripting stuff. Skip Perl. It
is a nightmare. Perl code is write once, read never code. PHP is common
but seems to have some security problems. There are also python and
ruby, but I don't know these.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen