[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 9 21:52:57 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/11/09 Thu PM 06:32:00 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] can't wait for Vista

>Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 23:00 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:
>
>> I'm a big fan of Supermicro cases, esp. when mated with a Supermicfo
>> MB. My current desktop is in a real nice single power supply, 4x SATA
>> hot-swap, plenty of fans, etc. It's about $200 last I looked, and IMHO
>> worth it...
>
>I used to use supermicro a lot, motherboards too, but got stung bad on a
>series of motherboards and got spooked.

I've only gotten one batch of MBs that had "problems" from Supermicro, they included the wrong driver CD-ROM, it didn't have the proper network driver for the motherboard. A call to Supermicro Tech Support got the correct CDs to us very quickly (a couple days) and in the Qty. we needed (10, since we were building 10 machines)...

>I think it was a temporary thing though.

It happens, I think you're right.

>I like some of their server boards and cases a lot, but I find it is
>harder to locate Supermicro parts.

provantage.com has a good range of their items at decent prices, as does buy.com...

The cases are my absolute favorite of all vendors I've dealt with to date...

Lionel