[geeks] I just saw...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Nov 9 17:21:56 CST 2006

> What kind of ScanTron, optical or electromagnetic?  The former is much
> more accurate than the latter.  Scanner callibration and maintenance
> is, of course, also a big factor.

Optical

No maintenance except for replacing the machine.  One time it just
stopped working during a critical time.  I looked inside.  The piece
of 1/4" metal shaft that was in the PCB fuse socket dislodged.  I
replaced it with the proper value fuse.

Even the big one the vice principal uses to scan the grade sheets
usually screws up about ten grades (out of 500) for no reason.

To him, it is only slightly better than manual entery since fixing the
mistakes is such a pain on our system.

Bob