[geeks] I just saw...

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Nov 9 16:50:07 CST 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Sounds good but you forgot one small problem which I have seen in my
> job as a teacher....ScanTron is not error proof.  I've seen them
> mis-scan numerous times.  Even a correctly marked part with no
> erasures or other marks was recorded as wrong.  I no longer use
> ScanTron since if I have to check them manually why am I using it
> in the first place?  Your basic idea seems sound though.

I had an instructor once who hand-graded scantron tests using a
master copy that had the correct answers punched out with a hole
punch.  She would lay it atop the student's test and make a red
mark with a pen any time there was a void.  I assume there was a
step to make sure no question had been marked with more than one
answer.  I never asked why she did it this way. One advantage was
that she could grade your test in 15 seconds when you handed it
to her.  Had it ocurred to me at the time, I would have tracked
the answers on multiple tests to see if she made a new template
each time.  :)

-DanD

# "Sure, everyone always said 'Socrates, what is the meaning of life?' or
# 'Socrates, how can I find happiness?', but did anyone ever say 'Socrates,
# hemlock is poison.'???"  -- Socrates minutes before death.