[geeks] I just saw...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 13:56:05 CST 2006

On 11/8/06, wa2egp at att.net <wa2egp at att.net> wrote:
> Sounds good but you forgot one small problem which I have seen in my
> job as a teacher....ScanTron is not error proof.  I've seen them
> mis-scan numerous times.  Even a correctly marked part with no
> erasures or other marks was recorded as wrong.  I no longer use
> ScanTron since if I have to check them manually why am I using it
> in the first place?  Your basic idea seems sound though.

What kind of ScanTron, optical or electromagnetic?  The former is much
more accurate than the latter.  Scanner callibration and maintenance
is, of course, also a big factor.

I used to work for the company founded by the inventor of the "Iowa"
test, National Computer Systems, in the office in Austin that
supported the TxEA's testing efforts.  That job alone probably put a
half-dozen nails in the coffin of public education for my own kids--a
coffin that was started by my own experiences as a kid in public ed.

=Nadine=