[geeks] Bad monster. No donut.

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 9 04:43:54 CST 2006

Rick Hamell wrote:
>> I was unemployed for ~6 weeks, had my resume on there.  Maybe one in
>> five of the calls from recruiters I received from Monster were for jobs
>> in my area, even though my profile says I'm not willing to relocate and
>> the top of my resume says I'm only available for jobs in Austin.  I've
>> ever gotten zero interviews from Monster.  Yes, I get lots of exposure,
>> lots of phone calls, but it's all been a waste of my time.
>
> I've had similar issues with the hits I have gotten. I have a crap load of
> Macintosh experience now days and want to stay with that, but have no
> interest in programming at all. Yet all I get are help desk type offers for
> minimum wage, or programming for languages I've never even heard of. Or
> worse of all, a primary Windows support position with "some" Macintosh
> support.

I don't think that's a problem with Monster itself.  I think that's a
problem with HR droids and hired-gun recruiters.  They pick out three or
four Industry Standard buzzwords that appear on a quick glance to be
relevant to the job, do a search on those keywords on their favorite job
board, grab the top ten or twenty hits, throw the resumes in the mill
without ever actually reading them, and call it done.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location