[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Nov 8 13:55:36 CST 2006

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:03:11 -0500 (EST), Sandwich Maker wrote:
> it didn't work so well in 70 years of the soviet union.

Indeed not, although I wouldn't call the SU system communist.

> the pilgrims seeking freedom of worship [tr: freedom to oppress
> others] were a bunch of reformist wingnuts.

Actually the lunatic fringe of the reformist wingnuts :) Quite a few
non-conformists stayed in England and prospered. Subject to some pretty
nasty restrictions of course, but not impossible to live with.

> and btw there were a -lot- of non protestants among those early
> settlers.

Indeed. Protestant non-conformists were seen as less of a danger than
Catholics (who *had* tried to rebel). In fact wasn't Maryland originally
a Catholic colony ?

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  One test is worth a thousand opinions.