[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Nov 8 11:22:13 CST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:44:41AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Okay, so the system run by the company that Google invested in *doesnt*
> interfere with ham radio communications.

That is correct.

> > The person who runs eHam for example told me that his web
> > site would not exist if it was not for the money he gets from Google.
>
> Nothing wrong with that.

IMHO it is.

> > Therefore he was not even going to complain, let alone make a protest.
>
> Why bite the hand that feeds you?

That's the point, which really feeds him? The money from Google, or the
service to the ham radio community. Eham was started by several hams as
a service to hams. Unfortunately three of the four founders died (as I
said before most hams are old).

The current owner of the site is more interested in selling advertising
than in supporting ham radio. He mixes Google ads and regular advertising,
he could have made a point of dropping the Google ads, and selling more
direct advertising.

He could have made it a rallying point, he chose to take the money and look
the other way.

> You seem to have a thing against Google, simply because they INVESTED in
> a company that does BPL.  I don't see you raging against all the other
> companies that invest or research the technology.

Google is the biggest. The only other large company that invested in BPL
is Motorola, who uses a completely different technology that does not
interfere with radio. Google invested in an interfering technology, that
is temporarily adjusted to avoid the organized oposition. Not a very
good thing from a company whose motto is "don't do evil".

IMHO a non evil investment would have been in Motorola.

> > He offered to allow me to post an article stating my complaints, but
> > since that would only draw more people to his Google ads, I declined.
>
> Geoff, get off your cross, other people need the wood for houses.

Oh come on Bill, you know that I live in Jerusalem. All the houses here
are stone. Using the wood for a cross is time honored traddition. :-)

> Can you take your anti-Google anti-BPL rants elsewhere, or at least tone
> them down a bit?

Your, list, your desire. I'll stop it here and now.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838