[geeks] I just saw...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 23:09:54 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 22:16 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

> All this talk of paper trail and audit receipts is a bad idea, in my
> opinion - if a machine makes two independent records,one electronic,
> one on paper - if they diverge, which is trusted? If one is not
> trusted, why include it in the process?

So you would be happy if cash registers didn't give you a receipt?

I understand what you are saying, but that's an old problem isn't it?

To me the solution is the same as it is in the retail space: the
receipts are created as duplicates, and the supercede the system.

Or do you think that just wouldn't work.

Note: I'm not arguing for electronic voting, since I don't really
understand why people think we need it.  I've never really seen a
reasonable comparison in cost and time between various voting system.

I'm just commenting on the receipt versus system idea and noting that it
is an old problem.

> We don't need answers that fast IMHO, and it' hard for me to justify
> the expense to provide answers that fast - but that's me.

So far the electronic precincts locally don't seem any faster.

I don't really mind the idea, and I don't see what is so hard about
making it secure.

After all, it is fairly easy to tamper with existing voting machines and
I imagine that card reader could be tampered with too.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The determined programmer can write a
FORTRAN program in any language." ]