[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 22:40:04 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 22:42 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:

> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>

> > > AFIK, they dropped BPL entirely.
> >
> > In other words, the world didn't end.
>
> But they were smarter than the idiots in this country.  They stopped.  Here,
> if you can make a buck, it will be pushed forward no matter what.

The idiots in *every* country will behave like this.  Nothing special
about here.

Where in this country are they pushing it forward in spite of tests that
show it to work poorly?

> > The local ARRL people are definitely unhappy with BPL, but none of them
> > give the doomsday reports that you do.
>
> They are playing politics.  If they are totally against it, they will
> be viewed as being against "popular technology" which is 180 degrees
> from an organization of a technical hobby.  If they were for it, the
> membership would leave.

I'm not talking about their media face, I'm talking about what the local
HAMs and people at regional shows are saying when you talk to them. They
are very rarely political at times like that.

They don't like it, but I don't see any of them saying that BPL will
destroy worldwide communications.

They already are fighting all kinds of other problems, so maybe BPL is
really just one of many.

> > Your messages was extremely alarmist, end-of-the-world type of thing,
> > about something that hasn't even happened yet, and doesn't look like it
> > will anyway.
>
> Only time will tell...

Sure, but at least let's wait until it appear to be heading that way.

Right now it looks a lot like BPL will be useless even if it worked with
no interference at all.

It seems to me that fiber and other methods are rapidly leaving the
future doomsday network behind.

The other day I was thinking about how our power fluctuates when we have
space storms.  What happens to BPL then?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]