[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 22:29:34 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 17:46 -0500, der Mouse said:

> > Direct democracy of any kind has always been a failure.
>
> Actually, like communism, it works OK until the population gets too
> large.  Lots of political systems work well among small populations but
> start to fall apart once you can no longer know everyone personally.

Well, it seems to fail even with only a few hundred thousand judging
from history.

What size were you thinking of?

> > It usually resulted in civil war, largess until civic collapse, or a
> > combination of both.
>
> Really?  Consider the Quaker communities in New England.  Which fate
> befell them?  (As I understand it, Quaker meeting is very much direct
> democracy.  Corrections welcome from them as knows better.)

I don't call the Quaker community a significant "nation" or even a city
state.

I was thinking more of what most people would call nations.

Even some called a democracy, are really a republic, or in some cases, a
dictorship/cabal.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]