[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 7 22:27:20 CST 2006

Tue, 07 Nov 2006 @ 22:48 +0000, Mike Meredith said:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:24:52 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 03:02:36PM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> > > Because I would never give Dell any of my own hard-earned money.  I
> >
> > For all of the crappy Dell systems I've dealt with, I've got a few
> > diamonds in the rough, too.  My 2.6Ghz P4 desktop on my desk here at
>
> I've seen good and bad Dells too. As it happens, at work we happen to
> have a recent high end Dell (an accidental freebie) which has an
> obviously cheap and nasty case.

Which model was this?

I know someone else who got stung like that.  It was basically one of
the lower end models, but with options added to bring it up.

Not saying that's what you got, I'm just curious.

The recent stuff I've seen from them looks pretty good.

Not that I can afford any of it.

> Now whilst a bad case isn't critical, *I* don't want a system with
> such a case if I spend #2,000 ($3,800 roughly) or more on a system.

True, very true.

My argument regarding Apple though is similar: If I'm paying that kind
of money for a system, I should have a good selection of video cards and
other more flexible hardware options.

Regardless of wether or not they are better than another PC, they will
be judged in the PC market just like everyone else in it.

Since they now run Windows, we'll also start seeing direct comparisons
now.

On that note, has anyone seen anything like that yet?

> It's also indicative of a tendency to reduce costs just a little too
> much. Shaving a few cents off the cost of a system is no bad thing, and
> usually makes the manager who made the decision look good. Repeat too
> often and you end up with something nobody wants to give desk space to.

Dell is an odd manufacturer.

If you bitch when calling, you can get more details on your build.

I used to like some of HP's high end cases... but I've not seen anything
from them since the old Kayak systems.

For my own machines, I use things like Lian-Li aluminum cases with my
own modifications and some third party stuff.

No, no flashing lights or any of that, I mean options like drive cages,
more airflow, and good cable routing.

Those cases are expensive, but they are very good.

Most of the cases I see in local stores, even expensive ones, don't
impress me much.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["All of us get lost in the darkness,
dreamers turn to look at the stars" -- Rush ]