[geeks] can't wait for Vista

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 16:19:56 CST 2006

On 11/7/06, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> For all of the crappy Dell systems I've dealt with, I've got a few
> diamonds in the rough, too.  My 2.6Ghz P4 desktop on my desk here at work
> is ~2.5 years old, and the only problem I've had with it was that the HD
> died at two years (which Dell replaced under warranty).  Other than that,
> rock-solid.

OK, that's one tally in the "good" anecdote column.

> I also can't beat the price or support on LCD monitors.  I bought a 19"
> E196FP back in February.  3-4 months ago it developed some bad pixels.
> I emailed Dell support at 7pm on a Saturday with the order number, my
> customer number, etc, and described the problem - two and a half hours
> later I had an email that said "the replacement will be on your doorstep
> on Tuesday" - and it was.

I'd argue that Dell is not really manufacturing these, though.  They
are taking the same panels and guts as others, and slapping Dell
branding on them.  Because of their volume, they are getting a price
break that they pass to their customer.  Just like Sun putting purple
bezels on Sony monitors...unfortunately, they didn't have the volume
to pass us a price break. ;-)

An LCD is the only piece of their kit I'd consider--for just this
reason--but only on "special".

=Nadine=