[geeks] can't wait for Vista

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Nov 7 15:36:47 CST 2006

> Do you have documented evidence of this occurring in a permanent BPL
> install (rather than a trial/testbed), or are you just raging against
> the machine?

I don't know of any permanent installation in the US so I wouldn't be
able to answer that one.

> Again, do you have documented evidence of a BPL installation causing any
> of the above interference, to anyone *other* than amateur radio operators?

I don't, but I don't read any SWL magazines.  I would imagine any services
in the SW spectrum would be treated to the same interference. Whether they
have complained or not, I don't know.

> And then, do you have any evidence that people did *not* take measures to
> try to eliminate any caused interference?

If you remember the story about the "test" in Virginia, they claimed they had
eliminated the interference but it was ineffective (if actually done) and the
interference remained in most locations.

> (I'm a ham myself, K5WCB, but your "GOOGLE EVIL!  BPL EVIL!  YARRRGH!"
>  stuff gets tiring after a while... )

I agree.

Since 99% of my operating is mobile, it's bad enough that there
is more RF junk on the bands than there was a few years ago (the FCC did
relax the rules a few years ago) more junk is not necessary.  I remember
when the windshield wipers of a nearby car was interference.  Now it's
almost impossible to quiet your own car. At least there's DSP. :)

Unlike the ARRL, I think BPL is like resurrecting the 8" floppy.

Bob (WA2EGP)