[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 7 06:14:27 CST 2006

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2006/11/07 Tue AM 12:52:17 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] can't wait for Vista

>" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>"
>" I don't think Apple wants people to update their computers, period.
>
>speaking of which, my gf recently experienced a power surge that took
>out her imac's -power-cord-.  is this just random, or is it where
>apple in their infinitesimal wisdom deliberately put the fuse,
>expecting that none of their chimpanzee users could find/replace it if
>they put it in the main case?
>
>there is no obvious fuse in the cord, it is just very limp and
>non-functional.  a generic iec power cord got her machine back up.

I doubt Apple put a fuse in-line in a power cord and did not:

a) advertise there is a fuse in it (owners manual, service manual, etc.) or

b) provide for replacement of the fuse (by contacting Apple store for replacement)

I suspect what your GF has (aside from a "very limp and non-functional" cord ;^) is a part that acted as a natural surge supressor due to "just good enough" design - the surge shorted out the cord.

If I was you/her, I would be very thankful the cord sacrificed itself - I say this as a fellow with a network all-in-one printer with a dead network interface, 4 dead ports on two 24 port switches, and a dead ReplayTV unit - all froma near-by lightning strike.

Lionel