[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Mon Nov 6 20:17:27 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Mon, 06 Nov 2006 @ 08:46 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:
>
>>    Mark Benson said:
>>> Tell em where they can stick their
>> Google is IMHO and experience even worse.
>
> No, not really.
>
> Bad, yes, but not worse.  It's hard to top Microsoft in that department.
>
> Oracle gives them a good run though.
>
>>   Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft, as bad as it was in the early days, was nothing like it is
>>> now, and of course it also didn't have the power to make it happen
>>> either.
>> Now it does. No one is competing with them. Apple offers a viable option
>> but you pay the premium of buying an Apple computer.
>
> True.  I would love to have an Apple, but it is incredibly hard to
> justify the expense.

Easy enough to justify - Macs should be a viable machine long after a
comparable Windows machine is not up to snuff.

My G4 Powerbook* is - four years on - a viable machine at work.  It's
only lack is a small disk.  It runs the latest OS X and so on.

I have a Thinkpad purchased at the same time - it labored to install XP
and ran everything dog-slow.  I gave up and put Ubuntu on it.

This may only be true for laptops and not desktops; I don't know anyone
who owns a desktop well enough to say.  Also this applies to work and
the money does not come out of my pocket - my opinion might diff if it
did.  Also I have no crystal ball - this seems to have been true in the
past; it may not be so in the future.

*I am typing this on a new MacBook Pro.  The G4 works but the money was
there for new equipment so why not?

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks