[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:49:23 CST 2006

On 6 Nov 2006, at 23:10, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 10:52:02PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>> OK so denying people freedom with their own data and hardware, or
>> enforcing DRM on people's legitimate media is not acting to "disrupt
>> communications"?
>>
>> Oh sorry I must have gotten them all wrong... damn me...
>
> No it's not disrupting communications in the way I refered to it.
> It may
> disrupt your communication, but you bought the Microsoft product, you
> bought the PC and you allowed (or took the default) to install the
> patches.

So it's ok (in this hypothetical situation - I use a Mac in the real
world) to interrupt *my* communication with others, as long as it
doesn't effect 'the third parties'.

> I was refering to disrupting communications between two third
> parties neither
> of which purchased or used your products.

What if those parties are forced for whatever reason to use a
Microsoft product or service, maybe at work where they have no choice
what they use or had anying to do with choosing it? I might just be
being awkward but... well...

Yes, I take your point, but still...

> It would be like every time you sent an email with outlook having your
> computer send a little EMP out, which scrambled all of the local
> radios. In fact that's exactly what it is doing, it just happens to
> scramble radios you don't think about.

I understand the implications of BPL, I've been around this park
already once, and yes it's an asinine idea.

>> Wake up - Microsoft are trying to take control of people's data and
>> computers out of their own hands. That cannot be allowed to happen.
>
> Totaly irrelevant to the issue at hand.

You ight have missed this thread is about Windows Vista ;o)

> It's wrong and I don't like it,

Good.

> but it has nothing to do with the Google and BPL.

No, true. You seem to think maybe Google is doing the same in a
different way though perhaps?

>> At the end of the day you have a given right to do what the hell you
>> want with your property. They, and anyone else that subscribes to
>> their little game, are outside their moral standing as a software and
>> service *provider*. You are allowed to have rules, you are not
>> allowed to invent your own law.
>
> It's called business. If you don't like it, vote with your feet.

If I did that for everything that was 'just business' I'd be in a
dark cave using my own ear wax as a candle ;o)

> I've done that, the only Google service I use is GMAIL and that's
> to send large
> files to someone. The files are not of any value to anyone, so they
> don't
> even get the value of data mining them.

I never send anything of import over e-mail for my own personal use.
I even try to avoid doing so at work.

> I really don't care. We only use Windows because my son wants to
> play games
> on it, and my wife wants what she is used to.

And what do you tell your son when he can't play a game because
Microsoft think he's borrowed it off someone and not paid his 2 cents
to Balmer's monkey-retirement fund? What do you tell your wife when
you can no longer afford your annual subscription to Windows Update?
Sound implausible? Hmmm...

> So you can really say I use Windows because I when I do, I feel
> warm and
> comfortable. :-)

You surprise me, I get a shiver down my spine using Windows even in a
comfortable chair in a warm upstairs room...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>
68kMac.org:
<http://www.68kmac.org>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the
trash!"