[geeks] can't wait for Vista

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Nov 1 10:35:24 CST 2006

Wed, 01 Nov 2006 @ 07:52 +0000, Mark Benson said:

> well it seems they are passionate about wringing any potential money
> out of anyone who buys any of their stuff, while screwing them on
> unusable licenses.

Yep.

The Vista licensing is not just draconian, it is confusing.

The whole idea that someone a business user needs more than a home user
is incredibly stupid.

Basically the most expensive version is the only one worth having to me,
and it has features that are useful for home usage.

In fact, if you look at how people at home and at work use computers, it
is usually the work computers that have a more limited function and less
variety of application.

Of course, I'm one of those people that already thinks it sucks to have
to pay for an OS N times for N computers.  The idea that if you can
afford the hardware you can afford the software is pure mythology.

I can get machines for nearly nothing sometimes, but to pay $200-400 for
each OS plus a license for each program I might run on them is insane.

Of course, I don't obey the licenses, I buy one copy and treat myself as
the machine it is licensed for, since licensing for specific hardware is
so bloody stupid.

I could understand if you have N people using the machines, and if the
prices were to come down.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [4649 5920 4320 204e 4452 5420 5348 5920 4820
2056 2054 434d 2048 4d54 2045 204e 5259 4820 444e 0a53]