[geeks] PA Semi CPU start up company

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon May 22 16:02:10 CDT 2006

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I think they welcomed Apple's move to Intel, they are much more interested in
> producing the DragonBall series chips, which are low power 68000's for emebed
> use and the (relatively) stripped down PPC chips for the X-Box 360.
>
> My guess is that they've already sold more processors to Microsoft than
> they ever sold PPCs to Apple.

s/Freescale Semiconductor/IBM/

The XBox 360 is powered by a 3-core PPC variant MS bought (they want to
own all IP) from IBM.  Freescale doesn't have anything to do with it,
and probably wouldn't have had CPU design teams available to dedicate to
the project anyway.

Freescale probably sells more CPUs for embedded use then they ever did
for Apple.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com