[geeks] PA Semi CPU start up company

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 22 15:40:23 CDT 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:47:14PM +0200, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> 80486-based Mac, or Mac OS running on AT-486 hardware? I don't quite recall
> off-hand. But something entirely different from today's Intel Macs on OS X,
> for sure.

AFIK, it was a regular PC. The object was to be able to show that the
Macintosh Toolbox (the ROM) could be ported to Intel processors. The Toolbox
was written in assembly language and used Pascal calling sequences.

By the time the Macintosh was developed, everyone including Apple was
writing in C which used a different way of calling subroutines.

I guess that Apple might of ended up with different hardware, but the
project never got that far. It worked, but the IBM deal killed it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838