[geeks] Compact keyboards

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue May 16 14:41:36 CDT 2006

Nate wrote:

> It depends on what kind of pain/stress injury you're trying to
> alleviate/prevent.

   I'm firmly in the "prevent" stage!

   I'm a UNIX system admin in a Windows environment so I do a lot of
terminal sessions, but I also have a GUI for backups (CommVault), lots
of web surfing, and Outlook for mail & calendar. As a result, I go back
and forth between keyboard and mouse a lot.

   I ordered a MS Natural keyboard & Kensington Orbit trackball when the
PC was my only computer here at work. Since then, however, I use the
PowerBook more and more (I am helpless before its allure!) and I'm
getting the pains in my dominant elbow from no keyboard tray and an
awful claw from using the verdammt trackpad & keyboard when the laptop
is up on my desk.

   I think I'm going with a Wacom tablet (the boss's boss's suggestion!)
and a Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2 for now. The fact that they're both
smallish means I will conserve always-scarce desk space, and I won't
mind leaving the HHK on my lap for extended periods of work.

   Thanks for the replies, you two, and anyone who still wants to chime
in is welcome to do so.

-wde
--
Will Enestvedt