[geeks] Compact keyboards

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue May 16 12:56:22 CDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:36:26PM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> Can anyone comment on using a small keyboard -- like the Happy Hacking
> Professional or Happy Hacking Lite 2 models -- as part of an effort to
> improve the ergonomics of my laptop Mac?
>
>    I have a desktop PC with a Microsoft split keyboard and a
> trackball, and a keyboard tray for it is on order -- so that system
> isn't too painful to use. However, I also have a PowerBook. I hooked
> up an old Wang clicky keyboard to it (through a brittle series of
> adapters) but it lacks things like the Command (Apple) key.
>
>    If I can't have a keyboard tray for the PowerBook and must settle
> for resting an external keyboard on my lap, is the smaller keyboard
> of any benefit? Should I go with an external mouse also/instead? Mind
> you, I can't really touch-type, and I think this is a bad time to try
> to learn.  Perhaps the reduced travel distance of the compact keyboard
> would limit the stress?
>
>    And does anyone have experience with the Happy Hacking keyboards?

I've been using the HHK since '98 when I tried them out at LISA in
Boston.

They are small, but they keys it does have are full sized, no reduced
travel distance, just fewer keys.  I love it, have two, one at home, one
at work (same mouse both places too, currently the Logitech MouseMan
Wheel Optical).  I am a touch typist (something around 70-80 wpm), I
just like having the small foot print on my desk, more room for other
stuff, especially on my crowded home desk.  I've thought about getting
their un-labeled keyboard, but it is just too expensive for having
blank keycaps.  I've been considering getting new ones so I can get the
inverted-T cursor keys, but the ones I have haven't failed yet, so maybe
later.

Mine is the 'Lite' PS/2 model, but with a USB adapter, I happily use it
on my PC, Mac, and USB Sun gear.

I don't like some of the other 'compact' keyboards that are basically
laptop keyboards in an external case, I like the fuller travel of
full-sized keyboards.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org