[geeks] Compact keyboards

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue May 16 12:36:26 CDT 2006

Can anyone comment on using a small keyboard -- like the Happy Hacking
Professional or Happy Hacking Lite 2 models -- as part of an effort to
improve the ergonomics of my laptop Mac?

   I have a desktop PC with a Microsoft split keyboard and a trackball,
and a keyboard tray for it is on order -- so that system isn't too
painful to use. However, I also have a PowerBook. I hooked up an old
Wang clicky keyboard to it (through a brittle series of adapters) but it
lacks things like the Command (Apple) key.

   If I can't have a keyboard tray for the PowerBook and must settle for
resting an external keyboard on my lap, is the smaller keyboard of any
benefit? Should I go with an external mouse also/instead? Mind you, I
can't really touch-type, and I think this is a bad time to try to learn.
Perhaps the reduced travel distance of the compact keyboard would limit
the stress?

   And does anyone have experience with the Happy Hacking keyboards?

   Thanks for any reactions/flames/threads hijackings. :7)

-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator