[geeks] X font rendering, was Re: [rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 15 21:25:02 CDT 2006

Mon, 15 May 2006 @ 22:23 +0100, Mike Meredith said:

> On Mon, 15 May 2006 17:19:22 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > You can use Xft in all X apps because the server will fall back to
> > character cell and outline fonts if the Render extension is not
> > available.
>
> I'm not certain it's quite that dumb ... I thought it used the Render
> extension for speed if it was available but emulated it if it wasn't.

>From Keith Packard's website (he wrote a lot of this):

	The Xft library is designed to allow applications to take advantage
	of the extension for text output while falling back to core text
	operations for servers which don't yet offer the extension. It's
	based on FreeType2 and you'll need the latest CVS bits to take
	advantage of it.

To me that says it falls back to core operations, which I think is the
old outline font code.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]