[geeks] X font rendering, was Re: [rescue] Sun Kit Needed for EE Student Here

Mon May 15 17:04:08 CDT 2006

>> Well, I don't know what XRender provides, but base X font handling
>> *can't* do antialiased fonts.
> I assume what you mean is that the X server sans extensions and new
> libraries doesn't do antialiased fonts.

Yes: base X, X according to just the core X11 protocol.  It has fairly
strict rendering rules, and they do not permit doing antialiasing when
drawing characters.

I'm not sure whether I like antialiasing for fonts; I suspect I'd like
it about when the screen resolution gets fine enough that I no longer
need it. :-)  (I do think it is good to have it available, though.)

>> I have.  Not charcell fonts, which may be what you're thinking of,
>> but monospaced fonts which aren't charcell, yes.
> Yep, that's basically it.

And, of course, "monospaced fonts which aren't charcell" includes
monospaced fonts which are incorrectly labeled as charcell fonts.

> However, I didn't think Monaco had any pixels outside its bounding
> box.

I don't know offhand; I am not familiar enough with it to know without
checking, and I don't have it to check as far as I can tell;
"xlsfonts | grep -i monaco" returns nothing.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca