[geeks] Access to Sun Security Patches for Solaris 10

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Dec 28 14:51:14 CST 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 01:42:50PM -0500, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> Hmmm...I recall that Sun used to allow access to their security patches for
> people without Sun Support contracts.  I'm trying to download their Recommended
> and Security patches (i.e. the big 10_Recommended.zip file) and apparently
> I cannot.  Also, I'm trying to use their getsolpatch.sh script but in order
> to do that I have to create a list of the security patches that I want to
> download and install...but in order to get that list I apparently have to have
> a support contract (seems like a catch 22 situation here).  Am I missing
> something or will I just have to breakdown and get the cheapest support
> contract out there?

You just need a Sunsolve account (free), not a support contract.

Register a Sunsolve account, then set up "smpatch" on the Sol10 boxes
with your Sunsolve account details.  Then all you have to do is "smpatch
update" and all available, applicable patches will be applied.  (there's
also a GUI, I think "updatemanager", that makes it even easier - especially
the initial setup-with-account-details part)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas