[geeks] Access to Sun Security Patches for Solaris 10

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 28 14:24:08 CST 2006

>From: Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org>
>Date: 2006/12/28 Thu PM 12:42:50 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] Access to Sun Security Patches for Solaris 10

>Hmmm...I recall that Sun used to allow access to their security patches for
>people without Sun Support contracts.  I'm trying to download their Recommended
>and Security patches (i.e. the big 10_Recommended.zip file) and apparently
>I cannot.  Also, I'm trying to use their getsolpatch.sh script but in order
>to do that I have to create a list of the security patches that I want to
>download and install...but in order to get that list I apparently have to have
>a support contract (seems like a catch 22 situation here).  Am I missing
>something or will I just have to breakdown and get the cheapest support
>contract out there?

Ido, I've been "registring" my Solaris 10 boxes with Sun, and they alert me to new (public) security patches AFAIK - what I am aware of may not be complete, but it _seems_ fairly current & comprehensive. Not sure if it will just download patches vs. downlaod and install though...

The big "recommended" patch, since it includes non-public patches would most likely be available only with a support contract.

I wonder if you buy one of their cheap-o Ultra 20s [0]with a 3 year warranty/support contract [1] if that means you'll have access to _all_ patches for three years? That would mean support would cost about $331.66/year _and_ include a free workstation!

Lionel

[0] http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra20/index.xml

[1] http://www.sun.com/secure/service/workstation/index.html