[geeks] Paypal: complaint resolution in my favor

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 23 10:39:39 CST 2006

I thought some of you might be intested in this, since you deal with
ebay and probably paypal too.

I recently bought a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge.

It was described as used but in excellent cosmetic condition and powers
up and works great.  No further testing, sold as-is.

I bid on it and won.

When it arrived, the unit was dead.  Not only that, but the case seal
was broken and the case had marks on it where it had been pryed open at
some point.

While the item was sold "as-is", I felt the listing was a lie, and I
also didn't believe that the unit was working when shipped, because it
is rare for electronics to get damaged in shipping.

I tried five times to contact the seller, Westech Recyclers, and they
never responded.

Giving up, I used ebay's dispute system, and they forwarded the dispute
to paypal.

I explained my problem and was told to wait for Westech's response.

They responded unprofessionally (bad grammar) and repeated the unit
description from the listing.

I responded by repeating my complaint, and adding that the listing did
not describe what I got in the mail, and re-enforced that the unit had
obviously been opened up.

Their next response was to say it worked when it was sent.

Again, I disputed that.

Their final response was a repeat of their listing, and a claim that
nowhere did they say the item worked.

I made a final response and then asked Paypal to resolve the dispute.

Two days later Paypal responded that I was being refunded.

I only asked for a refund on the price to be fair about it, though
really, they shipped a dead item and I think they knew it.

At least I got something back.

Just thought you guys might want to know that sometimes, Paypal does
side with the little guy.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]