[geeks] CAPSoff keyboard contest

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 22 06:16:34 CST 2006

Mark Benson wrote:
> I think it's a great idea. One of my all-time quests is to find out
> how to disable the Caps Lock key in every OS I use. I've worked it
> out in Windows XP and OS X so far, anyone know if it's doable in UNIX
> (Solaris or IRIX in my case) or Linux?

You can go the xmodmap route for X/11 sessions, or you can go the
loadkeys route for console keyboard mapping.

Here's the relevant sections of my .Xmodmap file, which maps caps lock
to a duplicate Shift_L key:

keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode  66 = Shift_L

keycode 113 = Alt_R Meta_R
keycode 153 = Super_L
keycode 154 = Super_R
keycode 155 = Multi_key

clear lock
clear shift
clear control
clear mod2
clear mod3
clear mod4
add shift = Shift_L
add shift = Shift_R
add control = Control_L
add control = Control_R
add mod2 = Super_L
add mod3 = Super_R

The loadkeys route is a bit more involved, but conceptually similar.

--
 Same geek, same site, new location