[geeks] more Solaris serial help

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 19 21:55:58 CST 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/12/19 Tue PM 07:45:54 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] more Solaris serial help

>On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:35 PM, brian.dunbar at liftport.com wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> It's late, I need to rebuild a server sometime between oh, now and
>> tomorrow a.m.  I can't get the server to boot (botched mirror creation
>> left the boot disk inop)
>>
>> It's a new Sun V210.  The problem is I can't drop the damned thing to
>> the
>> OK prompt so I can reboot from CD and reinstall the OS.

<snip>

Dumb question, but if an OS is installed currently, and you just want to flatten the box and start over again, what about:

Using "eeprom" command to redirect boot device/auto-boot? to false?

Formating the boot drive, and by clobbering the OS install, forcing the system to drop out to "OK"

and finally, what about setting up a net install server and redirecting boot-device to "net"?

Just a few thoughts I had, but luckily I've no experience with this type of challenge...

Lionel